How We Teach Phonics
Revisit and Review –
- Practise previously taught letters or graphemes.
- Practise oral blending and segmenting.
- Teach new graphemes along with the ditty.
- Teach blending and/or segmenting using the sound.
- Teach one or two CEW words.
- Blending and reading words with the new grapheme.
- Segmenting and spelling words with the new grapheme.
Apply – Read or write a caption or sentence using one or more tricky words and words containing the graphemes.
Assess – How successful have the children been when learning a new grapheme.